I absolutely love making this Penne noodle Lasagna recipe. I like the taste of these noodles better than lasagna noodles so I would much rather make this than regular lasagna.
First here is my video which I did my best to cut down to under 10 minutes, so sorry for all of the “cuts”. Some people don’t mind cuts, but others (like my 17 year old says that they are annoying!) Just like lasagna it does take awhile to prepare this meal. I would give yourself a good 20 minutes to prepare everything before baking.
Also, if you take the time to watch my video you will see that my 13 x 9 pan wasn’t quite big enough. If you follow this recipe exactly below a 13 x 9 pan WILL be big enough. I used double the amount of noodles, sausage and ricotta cheese so it was just about pouring out over the sides. We like to have leftovers for weekend lunches.
.: RECIPE :.
Baked Penne Lasagna
Penne noodles, 8 oz cooked and drained (half of the usual 1 lb box you’ll find in stores)
16 oz. roll of Bob Evans Italian Sausage (1 package)
8 oz. Ricotta cheese
16 oz. Mozzarella Cheese
1 large Egg
2 Tbsp Basil
Spaghetti/Marinara Sauce, 4 cups
2 cloves Garlic, chopped or 1 Tbsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Pepper
4 oz. Fresh Mushrooms, sliced
4 Tbsp. Parmesan, grated
1. Lightly spray 13 x 9 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
3. Cook noodles as directed on box.
4. Brown sausage.
5. Add the marinara sauce and 1/2 each of salt & pepper and the sliced mushrooms.
6. Let sauce come to a simmer while preparing the cheese layer.
7. In a medium bowl combine ricotta cheese, 1/2 of the mozzarella cheese, and 3 Tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese, the egg, the fresh garlic, basil, and the remaining salt and pepper.
8. Mix until well combined.
9. In the prepared baking dish spread 1/3 of the sauce on the bottom of dish.
10. Press 1/2 of the pasta on top of the sauce.
11. On top of the pasta spread all of the cheese mixture.
12. On top of the cheese mixture place 1/3 of the sauce mixture.
13. Then add the other 1/2 of the pasta.
14. Next top with the remaining sauce.
15. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
16. Bake uncovered in preheated oven for 35-45 minutes.